Friday, January 16, 2015

Cancer and waiting...

I've been learning a lot about Breast Cancer over the last couple of months, some things relevant and some not so much. The most abstract and maybe irrelevant thing that I've learned is that there is a lot of time spent waiting. It's not like in the movies where there is no waiting time - everything moving along nicely within a 2 hour time frame. In real life it's all about waiting...waiting for the call for the next appointment, marking the date on your calender and waiting for it to come, waiting for your name to be called in the waiting room, waiting in the examining room for the doctor and/or nurse to come in and do whatever tests and/or procedures need to be done, waiting for results to come back, waiting for your turn in the day surgery line (was at the hospital by 6:30am, went into surgery around 11:30am), waiting after surgery to go home...lots of waiting.
If it sounds like I'm complaining, I'm not. Waiting has just become another part of this new thing in my life. If anything the waiting has been a good thing. With all this waiting comes a lot of time to think (after you've read all the outdated magazines there's really nothing else to do). It's all very cliche but it has forced me to slow down and think about how lucky I am - a treatable Cancer, a good life, with a good man and two healthy, happy kids. Hmm...maybe not so irrelevant after all?

Where I'm at today; I found out that I had Breast Cancer on Nov.18, 2014, had surgery on Dec.4, 2014 and got the biopsy results back on Jan.5, 2015. My biopsy report showed that there were still some bad cells mulling around so yesterday after seeing a Radiology Oncologist I've decided to have another surgery before the radiation treatments begin.
Today I'm waiting for my Doctor to call and give me a surgery date. Then I'll mark it on the calender and wait...
By the way, waiting is a lot easier when you know what's coming:)

8 comments:

M said...

Love your informative update ... and it may sound silly on such a serious subject but your take on waiting is almost poetic. Thanks for sharing.

Annie Pazoo said...

I have to agree with M, I love your take on waiting. Best wishes with your continued treatment. It is not fun. Hoping you have the time and energy soon to do the fun stuff!

Pam @ Frippery said...

Karen, as a 2 time treatable cancer survivor, breast in spring of 2013 and kidney diagnosed just before Christmas of this past year, (thankfully unrelated to the breast cancer) I know that waiting is the hard part. Cancer in itself gives you a totally different and often better perspective on what is meaningful to us. Knowing what is coming definitely helps. I had my kidney surgery a week and a half ago and although it was a more difficult surgery with a several day hospital stay in a way I was not as frightened. Facing the beast previously and knowing it could be beaten with early diagnosis made me more calm. As well as having already chosen the mindset of not bemoaning what I could not change.
You will be surprised at how quickly this will become your past and you will be moving on stronger and happier. Also, the radiation is not bad. Having to go every day is a chore but other than that and a mild sunburn don't worry.
I am hopeful that all will be well and you will put this nasty little segment of your life behind but keep a new and refreshing perspective on th future.
I would give you a big hug if I could.
P.S. I am in such awe of your talent.

Karen J said...

Thanks Annie:)

Karen J said...

Hi Pam,
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm learning a lot of good stuff as I go and am feeling much less stressed lately thanks to so many sharing, caring women (like you:)

Sylvia said...

Wishing all the best for you Karen! You ARE blessed with a wonderful family, home & 2 great dogs and you WILL have many years ahead of you to enjoy them all and more. Big hugs!!

Karen J said...

Thanks Sylvia. Hope you're enjoying some warm weather. We've had some very cold days up here:)

Designwali said...

Sending you some good karma to help you get through your continued treatement!